August 1, 2007

Other Pictures That Speak to Me

Truly a picture is worth a thousand words. I haven't done a count, but my posting of Van Gogh's The Church at Auvers generated at least 1000 words. More discussion than I imagined. It is a powerful image that demands a response.

I promised Idaho Paul I would post a few more pictures that speak to me. I'd love to hear your response to these.

"So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come." (Psalm 71:18)


"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you" (Jeremiah 1:5)

"Save me O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. I am weary with crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God." (Psalm 69:1-3)

1 comment:

Carol Douglas said...

The last one is evocative. Sometimes photographs can be just too literal; that one sure isn't. The water is so inky black--unrealistically so, and I like that. Because I can't see the reaching person, I am prevented from seeing any way out of this fix, which goes neatly with the text you selected.

My technical side thinks that's a photomanipulation because of the rapid shift of opacity in the water(I like them; it isn't a criticism).

I like the generational nature of the two other photos you selected. Hands are awesome--so beautiful and so expressive. And who can forget what tiny baby feet are like?