May 6, 2008

There's A Little Person In There!






I collected these 3D ultrasound images from several sites and was consistently struck by the unmistakable humanity of these little ones. The photos above range from 8 weeks to 31 weeks from conception. I am amazed by those who deny this life should be protected. I'm sorry, but I see a little person in there. Even the image taken of the little one at 8 weeks shows a child equipped to do the Hokey-Pokey ("You put your right hand in...")

I was genuinely saddened to hear that the pregnant bank teller who was recently shot during a robbery lost her unborn twins. The CNN story states, "Katherin Shuffield, who had been five months pregnant, said that a nurse showed her and Jason photos of their twins, and that each fetus could have fit in the palm of her hand. 'When I see the pictures with my husband we always try to be strong and don't cry. But it's hard to see that they were so little,' she said, her voice cracking." I struggle to imagine what my state of mind would be in Mrs. Suffield's position. I certainly mourn her loss.

Amazingly the perpetrator, if caught, will not be charged with murder but with feticide. Indiana law allows for the charge to be murder, but only if the killing occurs after the 7th month. I wonder if the state of Indiana would reconsider its legal position if the law makers were to take a look at a 3D image of say 22 weeks? I have a feeling that the Shuffield family would vote for this being prosecuted as a heinous murder of those unable to protect themselves rather than the denial of opportunity to develop of potentially human tissues.

I am grateful for the window into the womb modern technology is opening allowing us to take a peek inside. It is truly a marvel to see the miraculous process of life blossoming. The next time you hear a news story about "an unborn fetus" or have a conversation with someone about "when life really begins" I encourage you to seek out some of these photos or, better yet, find a friend who is expecting and take a look at their ultrasound. Maybe by peeking through that window we'll all realize that there really is a little person in there rather than some tissue that has the potential to become human.

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 139:13-14)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stunning words aren't they John? "Fearfully and Wonderfully made."