January 13, 2009

A Shepherd's Intent

"Sermons, rightly understood, are primarily forms of food. They are articles of diet. They are meals served by the minister for the sustenance of spiritual life...When I preach, am I doing a shepherd's work? Am I feeding the lambs or am I elevating myself? Am I playing with words or am I breaking bread? Am I building beautiful pyramids or am I drawing water? Am I soaring like an eagle or am I satisfying hunger? Am I a hireling, preaching for applause, or am I a herder and feeder of souls?"

Charles Jefferson, The Minister As Shepherd

Jefferson's series of lectures continues to be a significant source of guidance and encouragement. I pray that I am doing a shepherd's work, feeding lambs, breaking bread, drawing water, satisfying hunger, and feeding souls. This is my intent.

1 comment:

sojourner said...

This works both ways. Church members should learn to see the shepherd as a sustenance giver: breaking bread, drawing water, satisfying hunger, and feeding souls. Often church members elevate the minister and demand that she play with the words, build beautiful pyramids and sour like an eagle as if they were hirelings brought in for the purpose of building applause and adding to the herd. Nice quote that speaks volumes and gets the mind turning!