March 2, 2009

Not To Snow On Your Parade, But...

Several bloggers (Check here, here, and here for a few examples - I got my first news of it from Jungle Mom - she includes cartoons!) are commenting on the delicious, and might I say, frigid, irony of this story. Apparently there is a solid chance that a planned Global Warming protest march in Washington D.C. may be canceled due to, wait for it, SNOW!

Below is a photo sent to me by a friend of another global warming protest in the U.K. Seems to me these guys may have a genuine complaint about a warming planet. Bundle up!

2 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

Question: your post leaves me confused... Do you think there is a chance that the climate is changing? that it might be warming? that it might be influenced by human actions?

John said...

Gwendolyn, I'm sorry for any lack of clarity. I do believe the climate is changing and it is possible that things are warming up. It is equally likely that it is cooling down a bit (note the thickest arctic ice sheet in a decade - I'm sure the polar bears are pleased.) I'm just not so sure it's man made.

Every Christmas my mom gives me a copy of the Farmer's Almanac and in this particular edition is a most engaging look at the weather cycles over the last century-and-a-half with all the dire predictions of apocalyptic change. What makes this piece so interesting is that about every 20-30 years it swings from a boiling planet to the next ice age.

I don't deny that there are things we can and should do to better care for this pale blue dot (to use Sagan's unforgettable image) but I also believe it is much more resilient than we sometimes give it credit. If science is to be believed it has managed to move through ice ages, asteroid impacts, mass extinctions, times of lush heat and humidity, tectonic plate shifts and continental drifts all without our assistance and I somehow imagine this old world, groaning though it may be (see Romans 8:20-23), will weather this season be it warming or cooling.