March 27, 2007

What to do with a Titus 3:10-11 man?

"As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned." Titus 3:10-11 (ESV)

Let's call him Bob. Arrogant. Loud. Knows the lingo of spiritual matters. Is all too happy to apply one edge of the two-edged sword to the lives of others. Described by one as, "A bull in a china shop...what he doesn't break he craps all over." You've probably met Bob at some point in your life. Well, to make a real long story short, Bob was reprimanded by our church leadership (in love and with the objective of reconciliation) and left our church family with the fellowship broken. It remains un-restored to this day.

Fast forward. We received notice that Bob has joined a sister church in another community. I am truly glad that Bob found another fellowship to belong to but I am wondering about my responsibility. Do I call the pastor and let him know about the difficulties we experienced with Bob or do I simply let them find out on their own? This is not a personal vendetta, my desire remains to be reconciled to Bob, he's just unwilling.

I feel an obligation to call the pastor with a gentle warning, because based on Titus 3:10-11 Bob has given ample evidence of being a warped and sinful man. Sounds good and godly but carries spiritual death and disease with him. I certainly don't want that disease spreading. But then there is the "have nothing to do with him" part of this passage. Does that mean that I simply wash my hands of this and say good riddance?

Ah, this work of shepherding would be so much easier if the sheep would simply behave!

No comments: